Thursday, August 03, 2006

A Shade of Gray

Ok so last week I noticed that one of Mr. Bobo's front teeth was turning gray. Ahhhhhh FREAK OUT!! I was a bit freaked out thinking maybe he banged it on something and it was dead and he'd be toothless until he was like 10 but all in all I handled it fairly well... ;)So I called my dentist and he referred us to a pediatric dentist.

Let me just say this. Both Ryan and I had the best possible experience with this practice.

I love to complain about when things go wrong and such but I should also give kuddos out when its due. So if you are one of my friends with little ones and you have not yet found yourself a pediatric dentist...I STRONGLY recommend Dr. Sheryl Hunter Griffith out in Katy on Fry road.

That being said lets start at the beginning.

I called them Tuesday and low and behold the lady who answered the phone was friendly, patient, listened to what I had to say and my concerns, made me an appointment at 10 and then called me later in the afternoon to tell me that a 10:15 had opened up and would I prefer that since I had mentioned to her it was hard to get them ready and out of the house.

Well yes, I would love the later appointment, why thank you for caring!!! Also she told me to go to the website and print off all of our paperwork so that we wouldn't have to mess with it in the office. Now if you are in possession of a toddler you will know that the less you have to fill out in office the better.

Appointment Setting: A freaking +.

So Wed morning (running late as usual) we stopped by my parents house to pick up Grand Beebs who wanted to go with us to help out- Always good to have a Grand Beebs on board. We arrived at the office about 5 minutes late- when we walked in the lady was also very nice- checked us in and we sat down. Chicken Little was playing on a large tv where they had a nice plush rug and a bunch of large pillows so the kiddos could lounge around and watch the video. We waited for about 5 minutes.
Wait time: A flippedy +

Once the nurse or hygenist whatever she was came to get Ryan (and I kid you not) she was on him like white on rice. And being the attention deprived toddler he is well he couldn't get enough. First she showed him around the office... which every room was painted in some different theme and he got to pick which room he wanted. My son of course chose the Beach room.
The Beach Room

Grand Beebs and Reese
So we went in and she put some rubber gloves on Ryan and then introduced him to Sammy the Snake and hands him a large toothbrush so he could brush Sammys teeth. When the lady came in to take the x-ray Ryan was having so much fun he didn't even think twice about putting the film in his mouth and holding still.
Gloves

Ryan and Sammy

1st Dentist Visit

Ryan x-ray
I am telling you every time the child did anything they gave him something. You did great on the x-ray- Have a Dora coloring book. We need another x-ray, here have a monster truck. I was thoroughly impressed with the constant distraction ...I mean entertainment... they provided. They never let him be bored for even a second. Dr. Griffith and Ryan

Checking out his teeth

When Dr. Griffith came in Mr. Bobo did everything they told him while she checked his teeth. Proud parent moment! (I had envisioned kicking, screaming and some biting...;)) When he was all done he got to pick out a new toothbrush to put in his goodie bag they gave him, then he got to pick out 2 stickers and received a balloon. I am telling you this place was better than Chuck E. Cheese.

Overall experience: A FANTABULOUS ++++!!!

So while I know life is hard and people don't shove presents at you everytime you do something right *although it would be really nice* For them to make him think of the dentist as a "fun" experience as a child can't be a bad thing.

So. Need a dentist? Want me to take your kid there for you? I just loved it and they shall be our dentist from now on.

And the dx if you were wondering was trauma to the tooth. Apparently it is very common in BOYS. Mr. Bobo must have hit it at some time in the last month ...the only time I can remember was one rocking horse incident. They said to monitor it and most often times it will turn white again- There is just some nerve damage currently.

So for today we are off to see the Wiggles, Live! this afternoon. They are an Australian group who dress in colored Star Trek looking outfits and sing and dance on a cartoon channel for kids. Popular songs include "Friut salad, yummy, yummy" and "Shake your hips with Wags the dog"

So we are going to take Ryan downtown and check them out. His friend Lauren and her mommy Dianne have seats right next to ours so either way the event should be fun. Anyone have any vodka? ;) KIDDING. Ok not really... give me some alcohol!!!

Have a Happy Thursday!
That is all.

5 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Wow! That does look like an awesome place! Bobo looks so cute brushing the snakes mouth, I'm so proud of him for being so good.

As for the Wiggles - better you than me. bwahahahaha

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Shell said...

They even gave him sunglasses for when they shine that stupid light in your eyes instead of your teeth. Cool.

I never liked my pediatric dentist. He was an asshole.

Take lots of valium...lots...

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger TBG said...

Damn I want to go to that dentist, but definitly not the Wiggles Show...those guys creep me out!

Supposedly every kid that has ever gone has loved it!

Have a great day!

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Southern Fried Girl said...

Girl, that is 2 posts in 2 days. I am freaking impressed. LOLOL. You know I gotta give you crap, right?

I am glad that it seems that his tooth will probably be ok. :)

 
At 6:32 AM, Anonymous Dianne said...

I was dreading my kids' first trip to the dentist, but I will definitely call this office first! It sounds awesome.

....and for those who are wondering, the Wiggles show was GREAT! Our seats were a leeeetle bit far from the stage and way to the side, but all in all we had a pretty good view. The kids were great, tooW Miss Nicole, however, clearly needed a nap. I think if she'd had vodka, she would've slept thru it. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home